For my very first monthly favorites I have a combination of beauty, reading, and crafting. As I move forward with these favorite posts I hope to include fashion as well lifestyle elements in the future. Before I get started though, I would like to announce that I plan to update the blog every Tuesday so stay tuned and enjoy!
1) My first favorite is Harper Lee’s new book, Go Set a Watchmen. I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in middle school and I really enjoyed it so I decided to pick up the sequel at my local Barnes and Nobles last week! I’m really excited to start reading it and i’ll let you guys know what I think. Have any of you read this yet? Thoughts?
2) I mentioned Project Life in a previous post and since this project has really been my focus for this month, I thought it fit perfectly into the July favorites! My first year at Davis was really rewarding but I oftentimes found that my major and the nature of introductory classes really lack creativity as you are constantly meeting deadlines and rushing to meet expectations. Now that I am on break though, I have more than enough time to let my creative side out!
3) One Sunday night I randomly went on Amazon and finally decided to splurge on the Fujifilm Instax Mini 8. It came a few days after and I absolutely can not be happier with this purchase! I have a terrible habit of barely ever developing my photos, and I have to say that it is extremely rewarding to have the photo right in your hand moments after taking the picture. If you’ve been holding out on buying an Instax, just go and buy it! Film is a bit pricey but the photos are beautiful and I promise you won’t regret it.
4) This is my favorite part of my monthly favorites! I got the Kat Von D Shade and Light palette along with the double sided Kat Von D brush at the beginning of the month. Before purchasing this palette I hadn’t really tried highlighting and contouring so I thought this would be a good place to start as everything you need is in one convenient place. Now that I have used it I can really say that it is a fantastic product. The powders are silky and go on smoothly, I don’t think I’ve ever even felt such a soft powder before. Both the highlight and contour shades are very bendable and highly pigmented so a little goes a long way. I also decided to purchase the brush, which was pretty expensive but ended up being worth it in my eyes. The contour only looks good if you apply it well, and the brush does just that. While I do wish the angled end was a bit more dense, the highlight side is perfect for your under eye area and applies highlight seamlessly. If you can, I would absolutely splurge on the brush as it really makes a huge difference in your final look!
5) I purchased this product months ago but I only really started to show it love in the month of July. Both of these products are by the Balm and I got them half off from hautelook.com when they were having a flash sale. I’ve seen YouTubers rave about the products so I thought, why not add to my ever-growing collection! On the left is a highlighter in the color Mary Lou Manizer which is a really pretty champagne color. The highlighter goes great with my contour palette and I use it to finish off my look after conturing as it adds a really pretty shine to your face that is neither too subtle or over the top. On the right is the Meet Matte Nude Palette which is a fantastic palette with 9 shades. They are all matte (obviously) and really pigmented. I personally like to use them as a base, and for defining my crease. Usually I buy pretty shimmery eyeshadow, but I really recommend you try out a nude palette as it can give you a really professional and soft look without looking too done up. Overall, I’m really happy with both of these products and I’ll definitely keep my eye out for more from this brand.
-The Sarcastic Pre-Med